Migraine is not an ordinary headache. It is neurological syndrome characterized by altered bodily experiences, painful headaches, and nausea. And according to the reports, more than 300 million people – around 6 to 7 percent of male and 15 to 18 of female is suffering from this pain. But unfortunately it is poorly treated.
There are cases that these painful headaches are preceded or accompanied by sensory warning or aura like flashes of light, blind spots or tingling of arms or legs. It is also accompanied by signs or symptoms of nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to sound or light. Migraine pain can be excruciating and may incapacitate you for hours or even days.
Although there were studies about migraine, there were no exact conclusions about its cause and cure. Even though there were no cures there are already treatments to ease the pain and lessen its occurrence.
Here are some tips to naturally relieve migraine from Dr. Mercola – Natural Health Newsletter:
1. Stimulating your body's natural painkilling ability. By putting pressure on a nerve just under your eyebrow, you can cause your pituitary gland to release painkilling endorphins immediately.
2. Taking 10 teaspoons of cayenne pepper in a glass of water. Endorphins are released by your brain when the cayenne hits your stomach lining.
3. Using Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT). Newcomers who use this simple process by themselves achieve relief 50 percent to 80 percent of the time and, in many cases, the relief is complete and permanent. More sophisticated uses by an EFT expert may be required for some migraine sufferers.
4. Green apple scent. One study found that the scent significantly relieved migraine pain. This may also work with other scents that you enjoy so consulting with an aromatherapist may be beneficial.
Other useful techniques include:
- Putting a cold compress on your forehead or behind your neck
- Massaging your ears and ear lobes
- Massaging the "crown" of your head -- the ring of muscles that circle your head where a crown would sit