Is there a logical reason why big and successful companies like Google, Cisco Systems and Procter and Gamble installed Energy Pods with leather recliners? The answer is yes, these companies want their employees to have power naps when it is needed.
Most people think that when sleeping brains are close to not functioning but in reality sleeping enhances performance, learning and memory. And also during sleep there is an improvement in the creativity. According to Dr. Ellenbogen’s research at Harvard indicates that people are 33 percent more likely to infer connections among distantly related ideas after sleeping, but few realize that their performance has actually improved.
Other than brain activity sleep can affect body function and growth. And there are a lot of negative effects that might occur if you’re not getting enough sleep like:
- Alter your metabolism and make you gain weight
- Cause your brain to stop producing new cells
- Increase your risk of cancer by altering the balance of hormones in your body
- Increase your risk of diabetes by reducing your leptin levels
- Accelerate aging
- Increase your risk of heart disease and stroke
- Raise your blood pressure
- Speed up tumor growth. Tumors grow two to three times faster in laboratory animals with severe sleep dysfunctions